Shopper - Delivery Driver
About the job
Want to earn extra money just for shopping at your local Seattle grocery, convenience, and retail stores? When you shop and deliver with DoorDash, you receive orders on your smartphone, go shop at nearby stores, deliver the order to the customer's door, and get paid. Be your own boss and earn money for shopping in your spare time.
- 18 years of age or older
- Any vehicle in any condition
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to carry bags of groceries
- Shop at your local Seattle grocery, convenience, and retail stores for groceries, convenience items, flowers, and more.
- Take on more orders by delivering in nearby cities throughout King County, like Medina, Hunts Point and Kirkland.
- Manage your own schedule and select time slots in half hour increments of when you'd like to work.
- Follow GPS directions to the store and customer’s location.
- Shop and complete all deliveries in a reasonable amount of time.
- Identify and pick out quality meat and produce at supermarkets when you shop for grocery items.
- Communicate with customers that an item is out of stock or unavailable and suggest potential alternatives.
- Lift grocery bags in and out of your car.
- Flexible schedule, you decide when, where, and how much you work.
- Actual earnings in the Seattle area may differ, as factors like how many items you have to shop for, what time of day you work (peak times), incentives from DoorDash, and tips can affect how much you make.
- Keep 100% of the tips.
- On average, earn more per order when shopping for items such as groceries than just deliverying food.
- Eligible to earn bonuses for completing a certain amount of orders in a set period.
- Opportunity to maximize your earnings by also accepting restaurant food deliveries at any time.
DoorDash lets customers easily order food and shop for groceries, convenience, and other in-store items online from the convenience of their phone or computer. All orders are fulfilled by Dashers who earn money by picking up or shopping for items and delivering it straight to the customer’s door.
How to apply
- Hit the APPLY button.
- Sign up with your zip code and some basic information.
- Pass a quick background check.
- Download the Dasher app and you’ll be ready to accept your first order.
Frequently asked questions about this gig
Your earnings depend on how many shop and delivery orders you complete. On each order, your earnings are made up of the delivery fee and tip. The fee will depend on the number of items and complexity to shop for them, total time it takes, and driving distance. The fee will not change regardless of the customer's tip amount, with the total amount of tip going to you. You can also be eligible to earn bonuses, which are usually given during busy hours or if you meet certain delivery goals within a given period of time.
You get paid every week for all orders completed between Monday-Sunday from the previous week. Direct deposit into your bank account typically takes 2 days. DoorDash also offers Fast Pay, where for a small fee of $1.99 you can cash out your earnings daily.
Background checks take 1-3 business days and are processed through DoorDash's third party consumer reporting agency Checkr. After you submit your application, you can check your status directly on Checkr's website (https://applicant.checkr.com).
Once you’ve shopped for all the items in the store and checked them off in the Dashper app, go to checkout and pay with your DoorDash Red Card (this is a credit card sent to you as part of your activation kit).
Yes, in the Dasher app both shop and deliver orders along with restaurant food orders will appear for you to accept or decline. Take on both types of orders to maximize your earnings.
As a grocery shopper, you will earn on average more than a food delivery driver. There will also be no waiting around for restaurants to prepare the order; your pace and productivity is determined by how efficient you can shop. Lastly, you don’t always have to work during restaurant's peak lunch and dinner hours as shop and delivery orders are available any time of day.
With a population of over 725.0k people and 8.7k people per square mile, expect there to be excellent demand for store delivery in Seattle. Nearby cities and the surrounding region have over 2.2m people and 1.1k people per square mile, which should provide a excellent amount of customers wanting to have the convenience of store items delivered straight to their homes.
If you don't own or have access to a car, you can rent one daily, weekly, or monthly through HyreCar, a website where gig workers can rent cars directly from owners. Find a car locally to rent for your DoorDash deliveries for as little as $25 a day. Learn more at HyreCar.com.