Love animals? Want to earn extra money on the side looking after dogs and cats? Then being a pet sitter in Portland could be the perfect job for you. With Rover, you set your own rates and hours for pet sitting and drop-in visits at an owner’s home.
What is Rover?
Rover is an app and website where Portland pet owners go to find local pet sitters. Owners needing someone to stay overnight or do drop-in visits at their home for their dogs, cats, puppies or kittens use Rover to search for pet sitters based on rates, reviews, and availability.
How much does a Rover Pet Sitter job pay in Portland?
- On average, a Pet Sitter on Rover makes up to $60 per day.
- As a Rover pet sitter in Portland, you can typically charge around $60 per night for pet sitting and $30 per drop-in visit.
- You set your own rates, not Rover.
- You can also decide to charge special rates for holidays, additional pets, or type and age of the pets.
- While Rover doesn’t have a way to let customers tip, tipping for pet sitting and drop-in visits is common and can be given personally by the owner.
Requirements to become a Rover Pet Sitterr in Portland
- At least 18 years old
- You love being around animals - dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens.
How do I sign up to become a Rover Pet Sitter in Portland
- Sign up on the Rover website and complete your pet sitter profile.
- Pass a background check and profile review.
- Once approved, your profile will be listed on Rover and you’ll be able to start accepting jobs.
Working as a Rover Pet Sitter in Portland
As a Rover pet sitter, you are in control of when you work, with what kind of animals you care for, and how much you charge. In your profile you will set the following:
- Set the distance you’re willing to travel to a pet owner’s home.
- Set the number of drop-in visits you can do per day.
- Choose time slots (i.e. 6am-11am, 11am-3pm, etc) you’re available during weekdays and time slots you’re available for weekends.
- Select the kind of animal you’ll accept: small dogs (1-15lbs), medium dogs (16-40lbs), large dogs (41-100lbs), giant dogs (100+lbs), cats, puppies (less than 1 year old).
- Set how much you charge for pet sitting (overnight) and drop-in visits (30 minutes) at the owner's home.
After your profile is set, pet owner’s seeking pet sitters in Portland will then find you! If their criteria for a pet sitter matches yours, they can contact you and book your services!
How to be successful as Rover Pet Sitter in Portland
To be a successful pet sitter on Rover, you need a profile that stands out. Here are some tips:
- Write a catchy headline - pet owners will be able to see this when they search.
- Highlight your experience and the reasons why you are a pet sitter.
- Upload high quality images of yourself with pets.
- Encourage your clients to leave reviews - just like Yelp, good 5 star reviews matter.
- Keep your availability calendar up to date - this gives pet owners confidence the times you are available are accurate.
- Respond quickly to inquiries - your response rate is shown on your profile and shows you’re easy to get a hold of.
- Get repeat clients - your number of repeat clients are shown on your profile and gives your better credibility.
- Don’t reject too many jobs, this will negatively affect how high you rank in search results so make sure your profile is accurate with what services you are willing to provide.
- Increase the maximum distance you’ll travel to a client’s home - consider doing pet sitting and drop-in visits in nearby cities throughout Multnomah county, like Maywood Park, Milwaukie and Raleigh Hills.
FAQs about being a Rover Pet Sitter in Portland, OR
As a pet sitter on Rover, you set the rates you want to charge for your pet sitting or drop in visit services. You can also set higher rates during holidays or charge extra for additional pets, type of pets (dogs, cats), and age of pets (such as puppies) in your care. Rover will take a 20% fee, so whatever you charge for your service, you get to keep 80% in addition to 100% of any tips your customers might give outside of Rover.
Payments will be available to withdraw 2 days after you’ve completed the service. Withdrawals via PayPal are free while withdrawals by check incur a small fee.
Background checks typically take 2 days. There is a small $10 upfront fee for the background check. As an independent contractor, this cost is tax deductible.
After submitting your profile, Rover’s sitter team will manually review your profile, which usually takes between 5-10 days. The review team will only approve pet sitters who meet their set of quality standards, so be sure to fill out your Rover profile with enough detail and photos in order to put your best self forward.
Yes, on your profile you can list all the services you want to provide and how much you charge for each. Other services you can offer include dog walking, dog boarding, and doggy daycare.
67% of American households own a pet, and with a population of over 650.0k people and 4.8k people per square mile in Portland, expect there to be good demand for pet sitters in Portland. If you wanted to offer your pet sitting services to people outside of Portland, nearby cities and suburbs have over 810.0k people and 1.9k people per square mile, which is a excellent amount of pet owners to market to.