About the gig
Drive with Uber in San Diego and be your own boss. Set your own schedule and drive when you want and where you want. Traditional full-time driver jobs usually have strict working hours and routes but Uber gives you the freedom and flexibility to work on your own terms. No resumes, no job interviews. Just sign up, get approved, and start earning today.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Use of an eligible 4-door vehicle
- Driver's license
- Have at least 1 year of driving experience
- Pick up riders in your local San Diego area and drive them to their destination.
- Option to drive and give rides in nearby cities and towns throughout San Diego County, like La Mesa, National City and Lemon Grove.
- Keep your vehicle clean and tidy.
- Manage your own time and decide when you want to drive for Uber.
- Take riders to their destination in the safest, most efficient manner.
- Flexible schedule and work only when you want.
- Your earnings in the San Diego area can vary, as factors like when you work, incentives (if available), and tips can affect how much you make.
- Keep 100% of all customer tips.
- Discounts on vehicle maintenance, phone plans, and free streaming music with Pandora.
Available in over 10,000 cities, Uber is an app that allows people to easily book rides to wherever they need to go. A better, safer alternative to cabs and taxis, riders enter a destination and a nearby Uber driver will get a notification on their phone, accept the ride, pick the rider up at their designated location, and take them to their destination. The fare is calculated automatically by Uber and payment and tips are made from the rider to the Uber driver all within the app.
How do I sign up
- Sign up on the Uber website.
- Clear a background check.
- Download the app on your phone, accept your first ride, and begin earning.
Frequently asked questions about this gig
Most 4-door vehicles will qualify as long as they are 15 years old or newer, in good condition with no cosmetic damage, no exterior commercial branding, and pass a vehicle inspection.
For every ride you complete, your earnings will be determined based on the driving distance, time of day, demand for drivers in the area, incentives such as completing a certain amount of rides within a set period of time, and customer tips.
You will get paid every Monday for the previous week’s work. Deposits usually take 3 business days depending on your bank. If you want to get paid faster, use instant pay to get deposits instantly. Terms may apply.
Yes, you will need to provide a copy of your valid driver’s license and proof of car insurance.
Background checks can take from 1-5 business days and are processed through a third party consumer reporting agency, Checkr. After you submit your application, you can check your status directly on Checkr's website (https://applicant.checkr.com/).
The Uber app is available to a large population in San Diego. You can probably expect there to be good demand for rides. If you were to look outside of San Diego to nearby cities and suburbs, there should be a good amount of customers wanting rides.
If you don't own or have access to a car, you can rent one daily, weekly, or monthly through HyreCar (among others), a website where independent delivery people can rent cars directly from owners. Find a car locally to rent for your deliveries with Uber Eats for as little as $25 a day. Learn more at HyreCar.com.